When I first heard about the Judge Rotenberg torture center it took a week of intensive reading to educate myself about the issue. That’s a lot of time and effort, and I’m motivated. So I guess it’s understandable when the general public remains ignorant of the horrifying little psychiatric secrets going on in the times in which they live; too much work!
It’s not that the Rotenberg Center doesn’t get a lot of press, it does, it’s been featured on Dateline and other mainstream investigative programs, and was even depicted in an episode of Law and Order, still, most people are not aware of its existence.
Thankfully, this month’s Mother Jones has done a compelling and readable expose in School of Shock:
Food deprivation. Isolation. Electric shocks. Inside the taxpayer-funded program that treats American kids like enemy combatants.
* Nagging? Zap. Swearing? Zap: New York’s Investigations of the Rotenberg Center
* Why Can’t Massachusetts Shut Matthew Israel Down?
* The Cult That Spawned the Tough-Love Teen Industry
* Sons of Synanon: A Genealogy of Boot Camps and Behaviorists
* Experts on Self-Injurious Kids Challenge Dr. Israel’s Methods
* What Works for Troubled Teens?
Those sidebars are links that lead to a single page on each topic and a 500 word essay, with embedded links, rebuttals, legislative battles and a photo essay for anyone who wants to delve deeper. The public comments are also illuminating but not required to get a general overview.
Please read it.